Sanitizing your bathroom is important to maintaining good hygiene and keeping your home healthy. If someone in your household is unwell or has a suppressed immune system, or when you are preparing to put your house on the market, sanitizing is a must. Sanitizing a bathroom requires different steps than regular cleaning, as bathroom surfaces are generally nonporous and, therefore, easier to sanitize.
Here is a guide on how to properly sanitize your bathroom.
Things You Need
- Disposable paper towels
- Soapy water
- Spray bottle
- Bleach or disinfectant cleaner
- Toilet brush
Steps To Take
- Start by cleaning all surfaces in the bathroom using soapy water, and rinse thoroughly. This includes the toilet surfaces, sink, faucet, tub, handles, and door knob. Allow the surfaces to air dry afterward. You need to remove large dirt particles that can reduce the efficacy of a disinfectant.
- Then, prepare a bleach solution. Fill a 1-quart spray bottle with water and add one teaspoon of bleach to the water, advises the CDC. Replace the top and shake the bottle to combine the ingredients. Make a slightly stronger bleach solution if you don't have children in the home, using one tablespoon of bleach per quart. Skip the step if you are using a prepared disinfectant from the store.
- Spray down all surfaces in the bathroom with an even coating of diluted bleach and let air dry completely. Pay special attention to high-touch areas like the toilet handle, faucet handles, and door knobs because they are usually dirtier.
- You should also clean any rugs or mats used in the bathroom.
- Flush the toilet and add 1 cup liquid bleach directly to the bowl when the water level is at its lowest. Allow it to sit for 15-20.
- Use a toilet brush and scrub the bowl with bleach and water. Soak the bowl with the bleach solution for 10 minutes before flushing again.
- Lastly, mop the floors with the same bleach dilution used for other surfaces – 1 tablespoon of bleach per quart of water. Let the floors air-dry, and make sure to replace any rugs or mats that were previously cleaned. It will help prevent mold from forming in the bathroom and ensure that it stays clean.
Follow the steps outlined in this guide to ensure that all surfaces are safe from bacteria, viruses, or other germs. Taking the time to sanitize your bathroom correctly will keep your family safe and help maintain the appearance of your home. You could also purchase a smart toilet with disinfecting functions to avoid doing some steps manually all the time.